Chicken “Tortilla” Slow Cooker Soup
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 4 Hours in a slow cooker
Ingredients: (click on ingredients to order directly on Amazon)
- 1-2 lb of chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper (you can add more for spice)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 container of organic chicken stock
- 1 can of organic, no salt added, black beans
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup lime juice (or juice of 2 limes)
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup of cilantro
- Gluten Free tortilla strips
I cook my Tortilla soup in the slow cooker, much like most recipes. If you want to cook the soup on high and pre-cook the chicken, you can make this in 2 hours.
- Place the chicken directly in the base of the slow cooker. Add cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and chili powder. If you have a taco seasoning packet, gluten free of course, that will work but I recommend the homemade way. Place the slow cooker on high for about 2 hours.
- At the 2 hour time, shred the chicken.
- At this point, add the onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapeno, diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Drain the can of beans and add at this time as well.
- Prior to serving add in the lime juice, salt and pepper (to taste).
- Garnish with sliced avocado, gluten free tortilla chips and cilantro.
Note: If you purchase the Gluten Free tortillas, you can cut them into strips and fry them in coconut oil to make them crispy. This is a fun and delicious addition to the soup. You can use Gluten Free tortilla chips as well.